Whether you liked it broiled, blackened or grilled, a steak is the perfect way to end a day. Whatever your preference, Myrtle Beach has nearly as many places to eat a quality steak as it does golf courses.
After conducting an informal survey of some of the Grand Strand’s leading beef consumers, we’ve compiled a list of the area’s top five restaurants to have a steak.
An important ground rule before we proceed: Our well-fed pollsters voted only on local restaurants, meaning the Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse at the Marina Inn, among other fine chain restaurants, was ineligible.
The voting was tight and the difference between No. 5 and No. 10 was tighter than the pants our voters wore, but without further ado, here are the rankings:
1. New York Prime - New York Prime is, as you may have guessed, a New York-style steakhouse. The ambiance, the food (a 40 ounce porterhouse for two?), it all adds up to the Myrtle Beach area’s best high-end steakhouse.
2. 21 Main - Located at North Beach Plantation, 21 Main opened in 2011 and immediately took its place among the area's finest steakhouses. Featuring 28 day dry-aged meats and a menu that also includes some of the area's best sushi, 21 Main is arguably the Grand Strand's best restaurant.
3. Angelos Steak & Pasta - While New York Prime screams upscale, Angelos takes a different tact. An all-you-can-eat Italian buffet is not typically an indicator of great steak, but Angelos isn’t typical. Angelos delivers finely cooked bovine and anyone that can eat the Big Daddy is a man among boys.
4. Greg Norman’s Australian Grille - The Norman brand is everywhere but his only restaurant is in Myrtle Beach, and it’s one of the area’s best. A wood grilled steak from the Shark at a table overlooking the Intracoastal Waterway is hard to beat.
5. Thoroughbreds - Open since 1988, Thoroughbreds has long been one the Grand Strand’s best. Thoroughbreds touts its 20-ounce bone-in ribeye, but here is a vote for the prime rib.
Let us know what your favorite steakhouse is in the comments section below.
Golf Holiday is the ultimate source for information on Myrtle Beach golf.